Thursday, June 5, 2008

Mary mary quite contrary...


Well, I THOUGHT it was my AND Bunny's plan to plant a garden this summer after being envious of Jami's and Mom's efforts. So I coaxed Dick to roto-till the south half of the original garden spot (used by Lucille Equall just across from my kitchen and converted to dog yards when we moved in 13 years ago) which he did last fall and again this spring. Then I ordered all my favorite things from Gurneys, but when it came time to plant all those cute little seeds, I had on April 16 been rudely parted company with my horse and broken my collarbone and four pesky ribs... So Tricky with a bit of help from Chance painstakingly planted the garden while the dogs n I watched. Six inches of rain about drowned the tiny plants, but quite a few of them (peas, beans, corn, spuds, radishes, and squashes) are doing well. There is a blank area between the radishes and the peas... We'll see what happens! The GD weeds of course grow best and fastest of all, and my mind's eye is totally filled with visions of Grampa Bill in his late 80s and early 90s determinedly hoeing weeds all summer long in his HUGE garden while dressed in a long-sleeved wool shirt with sweat dripping off his long, ski-jump nose.

1 comment:

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Let me know when the garden is ready for harvest I will come help you with the eating! LOL! Looks good. I hope to plant a garden next year.. we'll see. I should have lots of helpers by then.