Saturday, May 24, 2008

Snow shoes & shovels needed for this picnic...

Leesa's only child, a handsome boy named Sam, graduates tonight at 7, and in honor of that, Sam and 5 of his best friends are the guests of honor at a picnic here at the San Juan Research Center, where they live and which Doug supervises, runs, etc., today at 2. They set up a lovely big white tent a couple days ago and have been using rakes every since to drain the water from its valley in an attempt to prevent the weight of the last couple of days snow and rain bringing it down. the good news is that right next to the tent is a perfect building to move the party into -- like the YVEC hospitality room. So now real sweat, and I doubt the kids care much, altho their mothers are in a fluff. Went to baccalaureate last night... Granted it's been a long GD time since I attended my own (1969 before any of you were even glints in some one's eyes) but at that point, altho my memory is very dim, I distinctly remember two things about it -- (a) we were dressed to the nines, the lot of us, and (b) it had something to do with religion... The program last night was long and well planned but in a large class of grads (400+/-), there were MAYBE a handful actually dressed what I would term appropriately, and another handful disgracefully dressed (sweats etc). the vast majority were in what i suppose are their school clothes -- which aren't appropriate for school much less baccalaureate, but then my age is showing. anyway there also wasn't a whisper of religion, not that I care, but when did that disappear? it turned out to be a Senior Talent Show with an ok talk by their senior class president (a girl dressed up) and a well-meant but missing-the-point inspirational speech by two favorite English teachers. Off I go to stir a huge roasting oven full of the world-famous Camp 8 Baked Beans... miss you all. Don't grow webbed feet while I'm gone. Watch your basements, etc. Robert, so far so good -- NO leaks in the brand new roof or for that matter in the basement either! xxxooo

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't think you are showing your age, their parents' just aren't showing theirs...